Ohio Flag

An official government website.

Where do I vote?

You vote in the precinct in which you reside on Election Day. When you register or update your registration you will receive a postcard indicating the polling place serving your precinct.  You can also find your precinct and polling place by selecting the Am I Registered or Polling Place Locator tabs on the home page of this site.

Do I need to provide identification when I go to vote?


There are several types of valid photo identification.

  • Ohio driver’s license;
  • State of Ohio ID card;
  • Interim ID form issued by the Ohio BMV;
  • A US passport;
  • A US passport card;
  • US military ID card;
  • Ohio National Guard ID card; or
  • US Department of Veterans Affairs ID card

All photo IDs must have the following:

  • An expiration date that has not passed;
  • A photograph of the voter;
  • The voter’s name, which must substantially conform to the voter’s name as it appears in the Poll List or in the Poll Book

NOTICE: An unexpired Ohio Driver License, State ID Card, or Interim Documentation with your former address IS an ACCEPTABLE form of ID when your current address is in the pollbook.

The BMV issues Ohio Interim Documentation until the applicant receives their new ID through the mail. A driver’s license or state identification card in the old or new format, the Ohio Interim Documentation, and a voter’s old, hole-punched driver’s license or state ID card are acceptable forms of identification for voting, as long as the expiration date has not passed.

If the voter changed their name and provides proof of the legal name change, completes and signs Form 10-L, and is registered within the precinct, the voter’s name on the photo ID may be different from the voter’s reported change of name.

REMEMBER: A voter who moves within the precinct (and completes a Voter Registration Form) or provides proof of legal name change (and completes Form 10-L) votes a regular ballot.


Ohio law prohibits acceptance of the following forms of ID:

  • Driver’s license or photo identification card issued by a state other than Ohio;
  • Social Security card;
  • Birth certificate;
  • Insurance card;
  • Utility bill;
  • Bank statement;
  • Government check;
  • Paycheck;
  • Other government document; or
  • Any registration acknowledgment notice from the county board of elections.


If you do not have any of the above forms of identification, you may cast a provisional ballot.

If you do not provide one of the above forms of photo ID, you will still be able to vote using a provisional ballot. However, for that ballot to be counted, you must return to the board of elections no later than four days following Election Day to provide a qualifying form of identification. If you do not have a photo ID because of a religious objection to being photographed, you may complete an affidavit of religious objection and have your provisional ballot count.

Follow this link for more information on provisional ballots.

May a college student vote from his/her school address?

Yes, if the student establishes the college as his/her place of residence and registers to vote. Otherwise, the student must vote in his/her home county, if registered there.  Refer to the Absentee Voting page for more information.

Can a 17 year old vote?

Yes.  Any registered voter who will be 18 years of age on or before the November General Election can vote in that year’s Primary on candidates only.

How do I vote?

Jefferson County uses a digital scan voting system. You will vote on a paper ballot then feed the ballot into a scanner. If you have not used this type of system before, an election official will answer any questions you might have when you go to vote.

May a voter receive assistance in voting?

A voter with a physical or mental disability or who is unable to read or write may be assisted by anyone of the voter’s choice, except a candidate whose name appears on the ballot in that precinct, an employer or his/her agent, or an officer or agent of the voter’s union.  The voter may be assisted by two poll workers of opposite political parties.  No one who assists a voter may disclose any information about how that person voted.

How do I establish which political party’s ballot I am entitled to vote?

Under Ohio law, an elector affiliates with a political party by voting in that party’s primary election. You do not register a political party preference when registering to vote. Your current party affiliation does not determine which party ballot you may take in a primary election.

May I vote on ballot issues in a Primary Election without declaring my party affiliation?

Yes. You may vote on questions and issues appearing on the ballot without voting for candidates of a political party by requesting an issues only ballot.

The information provided on this page is provided by the County Board of Elections and is their property and is copyrighted by that County.